Monday, February 05, 2007

HIV testing over the years

So...I just had a battery of tests done as part of my exam. The first time I had an HIV test done was over a decade ago. I had just gotten my first tattoo and was feeling pretty paranoid. It took a long time for the results to come back (a couple of weeks). And...you had to get the results in person. The nurse called me into a little office and talked to me about my results. It was a scary process.

This time, my results came back in less than 24 hours. The nurse called me on the phone, asked for my birthdate and social security number and then gave me the results. That was it. She said "negative" asked if I felt ok and then hung up. No big deal.

I mention this because HIV testing has changed drastically over the years. I think everyone should get tested for all STDs...even those at low risk. It is important to know the truth.

No comments: